I Brake For Butterflies
I do not want to see you like this.
You could double as roadkill:
Eyes rolled back in your head,
Some ungodly stench,
Laying flat
Upon a bed.
I laid myself down,
That night you put yourself out there,
Trying desperately
To be a deer in my headlights
But falling short
As an opposum
Or another rodent of sorts.
My swerving lucky
But guaranteed;
Read my bumper sticker:
I brake for butterflies.
I should not have to see you like this.
I did not choose you as my prey.
I gave you up to the next two pairs of tires,
Left you vulnerable
To whatever would come--
Listen,
Just because I decided to drive past
Where I knew I'd find you,
Just to make sure you were O.K.,
Does not mean I should have
To see you,
Plowed into oblivion
And imagine how you got that way.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home