Monday, June 06, 2005

Don't look back in anger

I know I won’t.

So wait, Tori Amos played in London?

The Manchester show—my tenth of the tour and thirty-fifth overall—was REALLY that good, the song with the same title at this post just PART of the icing if this particular cake, belted out so lusciously.

Set list:

Original Sinsuality
Little Amsterdam
Leather
Beauty Queen/Horses
Liquid Diamonds
Suede
strange

Don’t Look Back In Anger
My Favorite Things

Winter
Carbon
Ribbons Undone
Spring Haze
The Beekeeper

Not the Red Baron
Never Seen Blue

Sweet the Sting

The show was so good that I didn’t mind getting jipped out of one song—well two; she was supposed to do “Space Dog” and “Baker Baker” (which would have LITERALLY perfected THIS “cake”) instead of “Sting” (best version I’ve heard, out of seven)—for the second encore. I didn’t even mind “Winter” or “Leather” because they were both performed so flawlessly.

“Liquid Diamonds” was hot hot hot hot hot, as was “Amsterdam” and “Carbon” has finally started rocking, a la Wolverhampton. “Never Seen Blue” and “Red Baron” are always a pleasure to hear, as is “strange”; hearing all three together is thematically appropriate and just a triple delight.

And may I add that “Spring Haze” was the best I’ve EVER heard it? So damn good. During the middle portion, she played the B3 as usual, but BELTED out “why.does.it…” many many times while playing intricate piano lines on both instruments. (And I’ve heard it at least six times before tonight, for everyone’s information.

Even “Ribbons” rocked my socks.

I almost felt as if Tori was singing to all of us, the travelers, the whole time during the AMAZING (i.e. best cover ever) “Don’t Look…”, with apologies for lackluster shows in London. Of course that was an illusion, but I took it as a kiss of sorts, and one of the sweetest I could imagine.

Viva fucking Tori.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home