Friday, June 03, 2005

mrs.jesus

I have officially decided that peeking at a setlist when possible is a good idea, and last night's show is just further proof.

Not that last night's setlist would have at all disappointed me--there was not one song I didn't like. It's just easier to enjoy a performance if you don't need worry about what's coming next (thought I DID want to hear "Snow Cherries" in the encore. "Jupiter" was fine though.)

And yeah, "mrs. FUCKING jesus."

The setlist:

Original Sinsuality
Space Dog
Icicle
Martha's Foolish Ginger
Seaside
mrs. jesus
Rattlesnakes

On Saturday Afternoons in 1963
Everything's Alright

Marys of the Sea
China
Goodbye Pisces
Carbon
The Beekeeper

Happy Phantom
a sorta fairytale

Jackie's Strength (written as "Snow Cherries from France")
hey Jupiter (written as "Jackie's Strength")

We'll start with "mrs. jesus" since it was the subject of this whole post by saying that it was hands down one of the best performances I've seen this tour. Unlike its debut in Hartford where the organ was fucked up and Tori was ever more so, it was strong, the organ sounded appropriate and yummy like Tori had wishes, and God. She belted at the right points, sang softly at the right points. It was wonderful.

Actually, on that note, ALL the Scarlet's Walk songs (Seaside, Carbon, and fairytale) sounded amazing. "Carbon" and "fairytale" especially, "fairytale" maintaining the intensity of the band version even in its solo incarnation, the normally boring and monotonous "Carbon" what I would ever call fierce.

The night also had an amazing version of "Jupiter" a surprisingly heartfelt version of "Jackie" and well, everything was really strong. And it didn't hurt that Tori said "fuck J. Lo" early in the show.

Not to mention all the Toriphorums folks I met!

It was wonderful seeing Lewis and Suzanne and Victoria and Ian and everyone else who's acquantainces I made. The meet and greet was short and disappointing (although she did run right over to me, which was really flattering), but the people I met there were all amazing.

Wolverhampton may have been a shit-hole--well, it wasn't really, during the day. The people were all friendly, the pubs were open without regulation, the weather was fairly temperate,and yeah everything was open. The beautiful meadows that surround it didn't hurt matters either.

After the show though, everything sucked: to say it was cold was a gross understatement; the pub wouldn't let me in because I wasn't wearing "trousers"; the only establishments still open were clubs, which were the quaint pubs during the day.

I'm going to sign off now and enjoy some of the beautiful English countryside through which we're passing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home