Thursday, November 10, 2005

Thoughts right now

It struck me very profoundly this morning in class, when I found out one of my Professors was 71. 71. I knew he was at least in his 60s; he was one of the founding professors of the English Department. But 71. It just hit me hard.

I am in a thinking funk right now, I guess you could say. Pondering the emergence and seeming permanace of the online realm and how it relates to relationships and relationships as they are in general.

I was talking to this boy today, and the subject came up about how little one really discovers about someone in talking to them online, even for a theoretically infinite amount of time. It was at that point that I suggested we just cut to the chase and go get coffee, to which he replied he liked "to take it slow."

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

I guess my issue is this. Say you meet someone in a bar or grocery store or wherever--which doesn't seem to happen to gay people anymore, for the record, but I digress. If you took the effort to approach them (or acknowledge them if they approached you), you probably think they are cute. You will probably talk for a little while and either make a date to consume something--coffee, tea, or food--or do it right then and there, all this without scarcely knowing the person.

Which is why I fail to see the problem with meeting someone from online without talking to them for very long. I mean, provided they're not the fabled child molester archetype--which I've found is nothing more than a fabled archetype that should have been left in 1997 where it came from--you've got nothing to worry about.

Do you? I mean, unless you're meeting them for sex or something, which I'm not doing in this case and I'm truthfully trying not to do much at all anymore.

Meh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home