Yesssssssssssssss!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! She FINALLY fucking played my song.
Well, I'm not too surprised. I knew she'd do it at some point, and I thought it might be tonight. She was in amazing spirits at the Meet and Greet and very playful with me. All I asked was "how is your voice feeling?" and she said "we'll see."
When she prefaced what would be "Cars and Guitars" (the other song I would request if I wasn't so dead set on "Northern Lad) with an announcement that this would be a "request night" of sorts (indeed, six requests were played), I knew it would be coming.
And Tori knew I was there (if she couldn't see) by the shrill, girl-like scream that came from the front stalls upon her commencement of "Northern Lad."
As many people probably predicted I would, I am going to say that this was my favorite show ever, and not JUST because of "Lad" and "Cars" (though she could repeat that sequence nine times during the course of a show and it would be sufficient for me).
Original Sinsuality
Father Lucifer
Cars and Guitars
Northern Lad
Jamaica Inn
Cooling
Bells for Her
Nothing Ever Happens
Turn
Ruby Through The Looking-Glass
Marianne
Mother Revolution
Yes, Anastasia
The Beekeeper
Silent all these years
Merman
Twinkle (not on setlist)
Toast (supposed to be "Sleeps With Butterflies")
hey Jupiter
It was more than that tonight. Tonight was cohesive. The "Lucifer" into "Cars" bit fits, though I am not sure how; "Cars" goes with "Lad" goes with "Jamaica" (all husband songs), which goes with "Cooling" via the "Peggy" bit; "Bells" and "Cooling" have always been sister songs in my mind. The "can't stop what's coming" bits of "Bells" foreshadowed the political piano bar section of the show, with "Ruby" echoing the "nothing ever happens" from the first cover, flowing into "Marianne" "Mother Revolution" and "Anastasia" beautiful. "Silent" and "Merman" always show up together, and the improvised second encore (which was the first three songer of the tour) was so heartfelt: she added "Twinkle" because we're near where she wrote it, which segued perfectly into an emotive version of "Toast" and I guess she figured she had to do "Jupiter."
And the performances? AMAZING.
High notes were hit all around, except for the missing money note in "Anastasia", but I don't really blame her after all the high singing ("Cars" "Lad" "Cooling") in the first set. "Jamaica" roared at points and cooed at others. "Ruby" was fierce and the bass notes on the piano shook the ground. "Silent" was driving, almost urgent; and yes, "Northern Lad" was perfectly. The high notes weren't just sung. The were just. God. Such a benchmark song for me as a writer, thinker, and emotional being. And so well represented.
Meet and greet pictures to come soon!
I am happy to report that despite early difficulties in getting around, the questionable gay scene, and a couple of other things, Glasgow was lovely. Beautiful old city, generally nice people (though generally indecipherable accents) and just yeah. Great great great.

2 Comments:
Yay Robert, I'm so happy she finally played Northern Lad for you! It was a good thing to wake up to read. Yay!! Once again, be safe and keep in touch! *hugs*
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im so happy for u and i'm glad ur having a good time up in europe....
Post a Comment
<< Home